La Borde House
Following a meticulous and complete restoration program, the historic LaBorde House in Rio Grande City, Texas opened as a luxurious, full-service hotel in April 1982.
Located one block from the Rio Grande River, the LaBorde House was originally the home of Francoise LaBorde and served as a travelers way-station for many years. Early-day guests included those traveling to Texas political events, riverboat and wagon travelers, cattle barons who sold their herds on nearby river docks and military officers en-route to California.
The LaBorde House was designed in Paris in 1893 by French architects and the plans were refined by San Antonio architects at the building site in 1898. Construction was completed in 1899. Restoration criteria for the hotel were established from original records, photographs and through consultations with the Texas Historical Commission. The Sheerin family with roots both in San Antonio and Rio Grande City sponsored the reinstatement.